How Do I Create or Edit a Pop Up Web Form?
This article is for the entrepreneur who is a just starting out using WordPress and needs to create an Aweber Pop Up Web Form in their WordPress site.
To get started, Login into your Aweber account.
- Click on the “Web Form” tab in the navigation menu:
- Create a new form or edit an existing one.
- Just underneath where the templates are found, you’ll find a toolbar with a drop-down box labeled “Type”:
Click on that box to select from the available form types:
You can hit the button in the Web Form Generator to see how they work, or view the demos below in this article:
The pre-selected option renders your form directly on the page – it is not a pop up of any type.
This form appears above the content on your web page. It is not technically a pop-up, since it does not open in a new window. Because of this, it is not blocked by pop-up blockers.
It can be set to appear immediately when your page loads, or you can have it fade in or slide in from any direction on the page.
Like the Pop-Over form type, the Lightbox appears above the content on your webpage and you can control how it appears on the page. In addition, it also darkens the content behind it on your page with a semi-transparent mask to help focus the visitor on the form.
This type loads your form in a traditional pop-up, in a new window. While generally the Pop-over and Lightbox forms are recommended over the Pop-Up type, there is an option unique to this type to allow you to display a form to visitors at the point of leaving the page it is published to.
- Once you have selected the form type you prefer, you should customize exactly how it will appear on your page. Click on the “Advanced” button:
Depending on which type you selected, you can customize some of the following:
Display Options (Pop-Over and Lightbox Only)
This option sets whether and how your form will animate as it appears on the page. Click to see a preview of each type:
- Default: Pop-Over Lightbox
- Fade In: Pop-Over Lightbox
- Slide From Top: Pop-Over Lightbox
- Slide From Bottom: Pop-Over Lightbox
- Slide From Left: Pop-Over Lightbox
- Slide From Right: Pop-Over Lightbox
By default, your form will appear instantly, once your page loads. If you’d prefer for it to appear after a delay, enter how long you’d like for visitors to wait, in seconds.
While pop-ups provide a great means toward grabbing your visitors’ attention to help build your list, if it is not the only priority you’ve assigned to your web page, having it load every time a visitor sees your site may prove to be an annoyance for them.
Instead, you might consider having the pop-up appear only once or every certain number of days. Select how often you’d like for it to appear. If you select “Show Every X Number of Days”, be sure to also set how many days you’d like to skip between showing a visitor your pop-up form.
Note that when publishing a pop-up form to your site, we always recommend also publishing an in-line form so that visitors have an opportunity to sign up even if they don’t see your pop-up.
Pop-up Behavior (Pop-Up Only)
With the Pop-Up form type, you may have it appear only once a visitor has left the page it is published to, or have it show in a window that does not immediately appear to the visitor (also known as a pop-under). Click to preview:
- Finish the design and setup of your form, much like you would any other. While you can design a form from scratch or choose any template, there are web form templates designed specifically for pop-ups. You’ll find them under the “Hover Forms” category:
- Once you’ve designed your form, save it and publish it to your website. Place the HTML just beneath the body tag in your page:
- To add to your WordPress Site, go to “Appearance/Weaver II Pro Admin/advanced options/html Insertion ” and insert the script into pre-wrapper section and click save!
Courtesy of Aweber and William